Monday 9 March 2015

How to Make & Store Breadcrumbs

I always have a day old or stale bread laying around in my kitchen counter. And the best you can do with it is made some Breadcrumbs. I have never liked the store bought ones. I find them to be too fine and sweet. I like how I can control the texture of the crumbs.  I can make it fine or a bit coarse; seasoned or just plain. 

How to Make Breadcrumbs?
Take some day old bread. It can be white bread or whole wheat or brown bread. I even use a combination of both white and whole wheat bread. But Never use sweet bread. Just roughly tear it and throw it in a food processor. Close the lid and just process until how you want them to be. Transfer it to an air tight container or a Ziploc bag and use according to the recipe.

Freezing Breadcrumbs:
Once the breadcrumbs are done transfer them to a resealable bag or an air tight container and simply place it in the freezer. These can be freezed up-to 3 months. At the time of using it let it thaw in the fridge and use accordingly. 

Refrigerating Breadcrumbs:
Breadcrumbs can be stored in the fridge for just few days.  

How to Make Seasoned Breadcrumbs:
  • Add some ground cumin, salt and paprika to the breadcrumbs for a spiced crumb.
  • Add some garlic powder, finely grated Parmesan or cheddar for a cheesy twist. 
  • Add some finely chopped thyme, rosemary, dill, parsley, sage, oregano for a herb crust. Alternatively you can also use dried herbs.
Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author

Search this blog