Thursday 22 May 2014

Aatu Moolai Varuval / Bheja Fry

Amma's Recipe #11

I am a pure meat eater and internal organs of a goat has never been my thing, they just freak me out. But this dish is totally exceptional. Aatu Moolai Varuval / Bheja Fry.....another recipe from my mom. They are simply delicious. The first time I made these are after my marriage, when my dad came to stay with me. Ah he was here for 4 days and all 4 days it was a lavish meat feast at my home. He is a pure "Non vegetarian" lol....So he bought these brains one morning and asked me to cook...Gosh I have never even seen my mom cook this. Later my mom shared her recipe through a phone call that seemed to be endless and actually they very pretty easy to make and that's the first time I tasted brain and it was yum!!! 

And more than having this as a side for rice / roti, I love this with biryani! Double Yum!!!

The brain fry you see below was cooked by my mom during my maternal break. A break totally worth it ;) 


Serves 3 - 4

You Will Need:

3nos Goat Brain, Whole
1 Medium Sized Onion, Sliced
1 Tomato, Chopped
1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Pepper Powder
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
Few Curry leaves
Some Chopped Coriander
Salt to taste
100ml Gingelly Oil

The Cooking:


Wash the goat's brain and pat dry. Marinate the brain with salt, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Sprinkle a little water and keep aside.


Note: Keep the brains whole, DO NOT cut now! 


Heat a kadai with oil on high. Once hot crackle the fennel seeds and add the sliced onions and curry leaves. Saute the onions till they turn a light brown in color and add the chopped tomato. Cook for 2 - 3 mins and add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a min. Add required salt for the onions and tomatoes since you have already added salt to the brain while marinating.

Note: If you want the fry to be more dry, then skip tomatoes. 

Now carefully add the marinated brains and sprinkle little water and mix gently. Let it cook on low heat for 5 mins covered. After 5 mins with a knife / a metal spatula or whatever you are using, quarter the brains.


Note: Brain cooks fast and they are very fragile. Too much stirring and tossing will mince it. 


Add the chopped coriander leaves, sprinkle pepper powder, cumin powder and cook on low flame flipping and stirring the brains till oil separates.

Serve with rice / roti!

Other Recipes by Amma:



Like ShobsKitchen On FaceBook

Happy Cooking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author

Search this blog