Saturday 24 May 2014

Launching My FB Page & My Favourite Gajar Ka Halwa!

Here have a spoonful of my favourite Gajar Ka Halwa & say hello to my Facebook page ShobsKitchen! I am super excited I tell you. My first blog post was on 2011 where I shared my mom's recipe of Prawn Pepper Fry (still no photo of the dish....*smacks head*). But then I called it quits since I was busy studying. Its only after my marriage in 2012 I started blogging full time, coz I started cooking more...Duh! So coming to my new I just launched my facebook page & I will be sharing all the recipes that are in my blog and a lot more I will be blogging about, interesting food facts, cooking & kitchen tips, contests, food quiz, anything & everything about food. And I would love to hear from you too. You can also share recipes, tips, reviews anything about food on the page.  So do take a peek and hit the LIKE button if you like my blog. 

Amma's Recipe #12 

Now Gajar Ka Halwa....mmmm oh I just love this dessert. Hearing the name alone makes me drool. This recipe is shared & exclusively cooked by my mom. And whenever she makes this it will be my Breakfast. Lunch & Dinner, Don't believe it? Ask my mom!  Not to forget the spoonfuls that goes into my mouth every-time I enter the kitchen. Its heavenly & to me its the world's best dessert. Period. This and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, ah killer combination...Damn I starting to crave right. 


You Will Need:

1 kg Carrot, Skinned and Grated
500g White Sugar
250g Unsweetened Khova 
500 ml Milk
1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder
50g Cashew Nuts
Generous Pinch Of Saffron Soaked in Milk / Orange Food Colouring mixed in little milk
100ml Ghee


The Cooking:

Step 1:
Heat 2 tbsp of ghee on a heavy bottom pan. Add the grated carrots and saute for 2 - 3 mins.

Step 2:
Boil the milk (keep some for the khova) and pour this over the sautéed carrots. Let it cook for 15 - 20 mins on medium flame till the carrots are cooked and the milk has reduced.

Note: Boil the milk and simmer for few mins till it thickens a little.  

Step 3:
Now add the sugar and stir well. Let the sugar melt and the carrots will start to bubble. Meanwhile, add some milk to the khova and make it to a smooth paste. Now this into the carrot halwa. Mix well to break any lumps. 

Note: Adjust sugar to your liking. Use a litre of milk if not using khova.

Step 4:
Add cardamom powder and saffron / food coloring. 

Step 5:
Heat a kadai and add the remaining ghee. Add the cashew nuts and roast till they turn a golden brown. Pour this into the carrot halwa and simmer for 5 mins till the carrots are completely cooked and a nice halwa consistency is seen. 

Note: You can add nuts you want like melon seeds or sara paruppu / Chirongi seeds. 

Serve hot or cold with vanilla ice cream....or just have it straight from the kadai like me ;) 
Happy Cooking!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Author

Search this blog