Get Posts By Email

Thursday, 21 March 2013

DIY Garlic Powder

GARLIC POWDER is dehydrated garlic, ground to a fine powder. I never really had a need to use garlic powder hence I don’t stock these in my pantry. But quite recently I was looking for some nice recipes for salad dressings, wraps and fries and everything had garlic powder and Onion Powder as its major seasoning. I don’t have easy access to store bought garlic powder and finally decided to make my own. Without a Dehydrator. The place where I live is sunny almost everyday of the year. When the sun is not out or if you need the garlic powder immediately, just spread the sliced garlic on a baking tray and let it dehydrate in a preheated oven at 150c. Then take it out, let it cool and grind.



You Will Need:
As much as Garlic Cloves You Need
Hot Sun / Oven / Dehydrator

What you Need to Do:

Peel and finely slice the garlic gloves and spread them on a plate.

IMG_20130320_080230

Let this rest under the sun and bring them inside the house in the evening. Don’t cover the garlic, let it get lot of air.

DSC04113

I left the garlic under the sun for two days and they were dried completely and were brittle. I was able to easily break them with my fingers. Put it in a food processor and grind very finely.

2013-03-21 11.06.05    2013-03-21 11.08.38

Pass the garlic powder through a fine sieve to get rid of the bits (like shown in the pic below) and store it in an air tight container. If they have lumped in a few days don’t worry, you will still be able to crumble them with your fingers.

2013-03-21 11.16.14

Important Pointers:
  • Slice the garlic cloves finely so that they dry up quick.
  • It may take more than 2 days depending on the climatic conditions so make sure they are well dried before you grind them. Even little moisture will spoil the whole batch.
Happy Cooking!

Author

Search this blog