Thursday 21 March 2013

DIY Garlic Powder

GARLIC POWDER is dehydrated garlic, ground to a fine powder. I never really had a need to use garlic powder hence I don’t stock these in my pantry. But quite recently I was looking for some nice recipes for salad dressings, wraps and fries and everything had garlic powder and Onion Powder as its major seasoning. I don’t have easy access to store bought garlic powder and finally decided to make my own. Without a Dehydrator. The place where I live is sunny almost everyday of the year. When the sun is not out or if you need the garlic powder immediately, just spread the sliced garlic on a baking tray and let it dehydrate in a preheated oven at 150c. Then take it out, let it cool and grind.



You Will Need:
As much as Garlic Cloves You Need
Hot Sun / Oven / Dehydrator

What you Need to Do:

Peel and finely slice the garlic gloves and spread them on a plate.

IMG_20130320_080230

Let this rest under the sun and bring them inside the house in the evening. Don’t cover the garlic, let it get lot of air.

DSC04113

I left the garlic under the sun for two days and they were dried completely and were brittle. I was able to easily break them with my fingers. Put it in a food processor and grind very finely.

2013-03-21 11.06.05    2013-03-21 11.08.38

Pass the garlic powder through a fine sieve to get rid of the bits (like shown in the pic below) and store it in an air tight container. If they have lumped in a few days don’t worry, you will still be able to crumble them with your fingers.

2013-03-21 11.16.14

Important Pointers:
  • Slice the garlic cloves finely so that they dry up quick.
  • It may take more than 2 days depending on the climatic conditions so make sure they are well dried before you grind them. Even little moisture will spoil the whole batch.
Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

  1. Useful post..
    http://sujitha-easycooking.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete

Author

Search this blog