Wednesday 22 May 2013

Idiyappam Lemon Sevai

This dish is one of my childhood favourites, well I still do like it ;) Now you will think am a bit crazy to give absurd names to dishes, please blame my mom on this. She used to call this IDIYAPPAM SEVAI as ‘Singapore Biryani’!!! You may ask me in what way it looks like a biryani. Me too, I still have no Idea why she named it Singapore Biryani. But I tell you, I love Biryani. I would eat anything names Biryani. Maybe that’s why she named the dish so, and the name stuck to me and I still prefer calling it Singapore Biryani :) 

Now, this sevai may sound like any other sevai but its a bit tangy and minty in flavour. Its quick…simple and the best way to cook the left over Idiyappam.





You Will Need:

6 – 7 Leftover Idiyappam, approx
2 tbsp Oil
2 Cardamom Pods
1 Bay Leaf
2 Sticks of Cinnamon
1/2 tsp of Fennel Seeds
2 Medium Sized Onions, Thinly Sliced
2 Medium Sized Tomatoes, Chopped
4 Slit Green Chillies
1/2 tsp of Turmeric Powder
A tbsp of Finely Chopped Coriander
1/2 Tbsp of Finely Chopped Mint
Few Curry Leaves
Juice of Half a Lime, more or less according to your liking
Salt to taste

The Cooking:

Heat oil on a pan on high. Crackle cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf and fennel.

2013-04-11 12.50.20

Add in the sliced onions and green chillies and sauté till the onions are pink and translucent.

2013-04-11 12.51.12

Tip in the tomatoes and sauté for 5 mins on medium high heat.

2013-04-11 12.53.08

Now stir in the turmeric powder and salt, cook for 2 – 3 mins.

2013-04-11 12.53.51

Sprinkle the coriander, mint leaves and freshly squeezed lime juice. Give it a good mix and cook for a min on medium high heat.

2013-04-11 12.55.58

Now, tip in the crumbled idiyappam and mix well till the idiyappam strands are well coated in the masala. Crumble in little by little, so that you don’t add way too much of idiyappam.

2013-04-11 12.57.21

Sauté for 5 mins on medium high.



Serve hot. It really needs nothing as side but I love this with onion raita.
Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author

Search this blog