Sunday 26 May 2013

Kuzhambu Milagai Thool / DIY Chilli Powder

Ok, this chilli powder is a must in my kitchen, mostly in all south Indian kitchen. I mom  uses this in all her South Indian dishes. May it be any curry / gravy like chicken sukka and chicken kuzhambu this is what gives that unique flavour and I never substitute with the store bought ones. And after I got married, my mother always keeps supplying me this home made chilli powder. Its really easy and more flavorful. 

So, what's the difference between the homemade ones and store bought ones??!

Its HUGE!!!

1. The colour: Store bought ones are deep red. But this chilli powder is more like an orange colour due to the turmeric.

2. The smell: Store bought ones are very pungent. This one is a little less pungent.
3. Spiciness: Red Chilli Powder gives a lot of spice compared to this chilli powder which gives relatively less spice.
4. The Flavour: Personally I prefer the home made chilli powder for all my south Indian dishes. The store bought ones just don’t make up with the south Indian flavours.

DIY Chilli Powder

You Will Need:

1/2 kg Coriander Seeds
300g cumin
150g Turmeric
100g peppercorns

Direction:

Mix all the ingredients together and sun dry it well. Grind to a very fine powder and use as required.

Like ShobsKitchen On FaceBook

Happy Cooking!

2 comments:

  1. Great Article, I have recently purchased red chilli powder in Bambino agro online store. It is perfect for all your spicy preparations. It contains no artificial colours or preservatives. I suggest if you want to buy spices and masalas in online, Bambino Agro is the best for quality and thay giving affordable price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add some spicy flavour to your food with Red Chilli Powder. If you are looking for some serious heat in your cooking, then this spicy powder is just what you need. Thnak you.

    ReplyDelete

Author

Search this blog